Patient Story | Dr. Meenu Walia


Dear Readers, Hope you all had a Fun Filled Weekend!
The week here beckons us to shed away our laziness and get busy in the rigmarole of our tight schedules.

Same is the case with me, today while travelling to work it struck me all of a sudden that being a practising oncologist for last ~ 25 years, I have met patients who have amazed me with  their indomitable  inner strength and the zeal to fight any hurdle in their life : be it the deadly CANCER!
One such Patient of mine is “Beena”

~~Beena’s story is so clearly etched in my mind that it doesn’t seem to be too far in time from today,Just wanted to share with you all my experience with  a courageous woman :BEENA

I had reached the OPD earlier that day. Mid-January was the month and it was chilling cold outside. I had time to sip a cup of tea before the rush of OPD started. Sipping the hot tea, I asked Kavita my OPD nurse to read over the list of appointments for the day. She uttered the name of Beena. I had three patients by the name of Beena receiving treatment at that point of time. I casually asked her- which Beena is this, expecting she would tell the diagnosis. “The one who always comes in a new dress and that bright lipstick” came the prompt reply. That day, when Beena walked into my OPD, I complemented her on her dress and asked her how she always managed to dress-up nicely. Her answer was not what I was expecting “The idea of every chemotherapy session make me feel low and run down. Putting up a nice dress just cheers me up”.
I was surprised to see her lively response and it made me realise that these are probably the ways, some of the patients interact with the world outside and keep their morale high. They probably tell the world that they have HOPE. Sometimes, the only thing that you have left is hope. “Hope that tomorrow will hurt little less than yesterday.”

I hope this optimistic spirit of BEENA catches all my readers in some way or the other.
LETS BE TOGETHER IN OUR FIGHT AGAINST CANCER .....  

Comments

Post a Comment