Fight Against Cancer | Dr. Meenu Walia

Dear Readers,   As a practising Oncologist, my Day starts and ends with thoughts revolving around my patients…Their issues, Their progress and overall their Fight against Cancer.  As a person I have been truly optimistic in all my endeavours and that holds true when it comes to each one of my patient. Whether the patient is #1 in my OPD or the Nth one, I always treat them with this believe in my mind that there can be ---and should be life after cancer.   In my today’s post I wish to share my thoughts on how the patient’s support system i.e. immediate and extended family members handle the naked truth that your loved one is diagnosed with ‘CANCER.

1. Be sympathetic but please don’t overdo it: It is fact that the Cancer warrior needs your support at this point in time but showing over sympathy and kindness can make him/her nervous. Don’t remind the patient over and again about his illness.

2. Encourage patient to be independent: The first and foremost victim in a patient’s persona that happens when diagnosed with Cancer his that his confidence and zeal to live life gets killed. It is important to provide the patient with help but it is equally important to ‘help him help himself ‘.  Remember that the patient needs is not consolation but the motivation to move on.
3. Let the cancer warrior draw lines for himself in his lifestyle : As family members we should limit our role as support system and not rob him of his role in the family.   Do look out for my next post where I will be few more tips for the family members to control their anxiety levels and help the Cancer Warrior fight the disease with all his /her muster.  
  
Till then ..Keep the positivity brimming..WE CAN & WE WILL CONQUER CANCER TOGETHER .... 

Comments